Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Roofs
What is the best roof?
Unfortunately there is no magic answer in the roofing industry that solves all roofing problems. What the roofing industry does of er is a wide variety of waterproofing and watershedding products from numerous manufacturers, each having attributes and faults. The key to selecting a proper roofing system is identifying the specific roof design needs of your building, and how each roofing system meets those needs.
Why does my roof leak?
Roofs leak from a break in the waterproofing layer. High winds, hail damage, and deterioration or defects in the roofing material are considered to be functional damage. Other causes may include mechanical damage (ie, tree falls on roof). The key to roof management is leak avoidance. Find and correct defects before they leak because once they do the damage will only spread compromising the entire roofing systems integrity (wood rot and mold).
Can composition shingles be repaired?
Yes. If damage is minor, a reputable roofing contractor can remove individual roofing shingles and replace them with new shingles.
How long should a roof last?
Like any building component, roofs degrade at different rates depending on a large number of factors: the quality of original construction, the level of abuse, the level of maintenance, appropriateness of design, etc. So how long should a roof last? We have seen poorly designed and installed roofs go as few as six or seven years before they failed. Buffalo is extremely hard on shingles on one side of your roof, the snow side. New shingles are available now with a 50 year warranty.
Can I cover over my existing roof?
Installing a roof over the top of an existing roof is generally acceptable under these guidelines:
- The International Building Code (IBC) allows one recover (over wood or asphalt shingles only)
- No wet insulation can be left in place
- The roof structure must be able to handle the additional roof load. The new roof must be attached to the roof deck to meet wind loads (it is not generally acceptable to adhere the new roof to the old roof).
- The most commonly used technique for installing the second layer of asphalt shingles over the first only applies when covering three tab shingles with laminate style shingles.
- Most insurance companies will not recognize the installation of a second layer of roofing products over the existing roof as a good practice. Policy holders may want to contact your carrier prior to making these repairs.
- Wind resistance is nearly always compromised.
What time of year is the best time to install a roof?
The optimum time to install an asphalt shingled roof is when the temperatures are between 4080 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind and rain are at the lowest intensity and frequency. This allows the roofer the best conditions for installation, with the fewest interruptions, lowest risk of leaking, and an ideal time to minimize any unintentional damage to the roofing system (i.e., scuff marks from foot traffic).
Once a shingled roof is installed, the sun with “cook it down”. You may notice the shingles lay a bit flatter after a couple of days, this is normal. The heat also sets the glue between shingles.
How do I know when my roof is failing?
- Different roof types fail at differing rates and with different failure modes. Several general clues include:
- Does the roof leak in numerous locations?
- Do leaks continue, despite repeated repair attempts?
- Do repairs seem to make leaks worse, or do new leaks develop after repairs?
- Are there signs of missing, cracked or curling shingles?
- Are there stains on interior walls or ceilings? It is generally better to re-roof at the appropriate juncture, rather than pouring money and time into ill-advised repairs.
How much does a new roof cost?
How much is a new car? Well, the answer to both questions is, "That depends."
Every re-roofing projects cost is going to be dependent on some of these factors:
- How large is the area of the roof?
- How steep is the roof (pitch)?
- How many stories tall is the building?
- How many layers of existing material need to be removed?
- What brand and style of roofing products will be reinstalled ?
The final price to install a new roofing system can range from $3.50 per sq ft of the structure to $12.00 per sq ft.
How often should my roof be inspected and by whom?
Buffalo Roofing recommends a thorough inspection every two years by a HAAG certified inspector. Some roofing systems require more maintenance than others, and each should have a maintenance/inspection schedule.
How do I get a fair quote and a good contractor for a new roof or repair?
Look for an established, licensed, or bonded roofer and request references. Ask to see certificates of insurance for liability and workers compensation insurance coverage. Insist on a detailed, written estimate, showing material needed, labor charges, and approximate starting and completion dates. As self-serving as this sounds, a knowledgeable roof consultant can steer you through the many pitfalls of buying a new roof. With their help, you can pick the right roof system to meet both your design expectations and budget limitations. The good contractors appreciate opportunities to bid roofing projects like yours.